Skip to main content


Health Insurance

Health insurance is MANDATORY for international students on an F-1 student visa while attending the University of New Mexico. All F-1 students must have health insurance!

There are two options for health insurance dependent on your age:

  1. Health insurance for students under the age of 25: click here to register.

  2. Health insurance for students over the age of 25. click here to register.

Please purchase your health insurance using one of the links above. You must bring proof of health insurance with you to CELAC by the end of your first week of classes.

  • Must show coverage for at least one semester at a time

  • Minimum policy must cover:

    • $50,000 per accident/illness

    • $7,500 for repatriation of remains

    • $10,000 for medical evacuation

If you need assistance with your health insurance purchase, please contact us at or come speak to a CELAC advisor during our daily walk-in hours.

Student Health and Counseling Center (SHAC)

All CELAC students can use the Student Health and Counseling Center (SHAC) on UNM campus for their general medical needs.

Please visit the SHAC website to learn more about their hours and services.


Before coming to the University of New Mexico, all students are required to have the Category A immunizations:

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

  • Meningococcal (Men serogroups A, C, W and Y)

  • Varicella (Var)

The following additional immunizations are recommended but not required:

  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap)

  • Influenza